Thursday, April 8, 2010

Decorating Find: Swedish Palette

Designer Shannon Bowers of Dallas, Texas, has transformed her once-dark, two-story Georgian house into a haven of pale European furnishings bathed in sunlight. "I'm a purist," she says. "For me, colors found in nature—like robin's egg blue, light sand and the lavender of hydrangeas—are soothing. Because this house feels so open, the indoors and outdoors are married."

Inspired by the soft hues and understated elegance of painted Swedish furniture, as well as the light shades of flooring in many European homes, Bowers found a linen with a "petit blue" undertone that dictated the colors of the interiors. "Often I'll pick one fabric, and it will determine the palette for an entire house. The wall color is also a derivative of that fabric."

Complementing the Swedish pieces are numerous French antiques that exude a similar aesthetic. "Most of the French furniture is from the Directoire period, so the lines are very clean, and those pieces work well with our Swedish furnishings."  Bowers wanted a consistent look throughout the home. "If I have antiques in the living room, I think they should also appear in the children's spaces. I want to share them with my whole family. I would like for my children to develop an appreciation for them just as I have as the daughter of an interior designer."

Source: Veranda

10 comments:

ceecee said...

I love the casual elegance of Swedish design, and this is my favorite color palette. Lovely.

Catherine

Victoria Hayden said...

I love Swedish design...*sigh*...that Mora clock and the dining room...just beautiful!!! New to your blog...love looking around. Will be back often to visit...now a follower.

Have a great week!

Hugs,
Victoria

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Oh well, this is just So me !!
I actually have had most of these pictures stored for ages, as I love them.
Thanks for telling me all about where they are from. I could buy every single item !! XXXX

orsolya vanessza kiss said...

Csodálatos!!!

Susan said...

I love the brightness of this decor, Gypsy. Sincerely, Susan

Natalie Ryan said...

I love the 'paleness' of everything - so serene and peaceful. I wish I could have such colour - co ordination in my own home! A lovely post.

Unknown said...

So beautiful. I especially loved the Robin's Egg Blue distessed cabinets. I haven't purchased a Veranda magazine in awhile. It looks like I may have to stop and buy one. They always feature such wonderful interiors.

Tricia - Avolli said...

These rooms are so special, lovely and calming. Swedish interiors are my specialty and passion. Thank you for reminding me why I do what I do.

My best,
Tricia - Avolli

Unknown said...

I love this! Very stylish, but cosy and calming too! suzie xxx

Charlotta Ward said...

Ahh so divine! Needless to say I could move my Swedish self right in here.. Love it all and feel very at home in these pictures.

Thank you for this one! Tusen tack! (mother tongue)

xx Charlotta

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails